whiski_sour: (this just in)
-I house sat for Aunt Jo for a week. It was a nice little vacation except I had to spend it with dogs that don't obey well. They're good dogs for the most part, but I was spoiled by the ones I had that would, you know, come when they were called without having to scream the command fifteen times.

-While I was house sitting I got a call from a credit union I'd applied to. I went in for an interview last Tuesday. I think it went okay, I'm supposed to hear back on whether or not I get a second interview. Honestly, I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't. I know I need the money, but I get the feeling it's all women and I'd be the only single and/or childless one in the bunch. That could be a questionable environment for someone like me. We'll see what happens.

-Visited my grandma and Aunt T yesterday. Grandma is doing better since her brain surgery back in January. She lost a lot of weight while she was sick and she's starting to put a little of it back on. She went ahead with her glaucoma surgeries even though Mom wanted her to get it done by a different eye doctor (because it was the eye doctor that was responsible for her ending up in the hospital in January to begin with), but she didn't. She had her second eye surgery last Wednesday. So she's got balance problems, vertigo, and can't see out of one eye, but she won't sit still when there's company about. Also, they changed her medication so she can drink again. At least one normal has been restored.

-I missed my LJ anniversary back in May. Again. 11 years here. Huzzah.
whiski_sour: (judging you)
A guy I went to school with died on Thursday. They found him dead in his apartment, apparent natural causes, possibly a heart attack. He was 34.

Wade was a good guy for the most part. Funny, sociable, one of those good Christian types, and everyone that knew him has been saying very nice things about him on Facebook.

Well, here's the thing. I liked Wade well enough, too, except...Wade didn't like cats. Good Christian Wade would even make jokes about bad things happening to cats. Wade thought it was very funny should bad things happen to cats. So while all of these people are saying what a great guy Wade was, I'm thinking, "Yeah, but he fucking hated cats."

I hope that when Wade got to his Heaven and met his God, his God looked at him and said, "You're a good dude, Wade. Except you hated cats. What the fuck man? Wishing death upon one of my creatures in such a hateful way is not cool. You're on litter box duty until the end of time. Dick."

Seriously. Don't be spouting Jesus-y shit all over your Facebook and then think it'd be really neat if a cat didn't make it across a highway. That is NOT what your Jesus would do.

For fuck's sake, Jesus hung out with lepers and they shed worse than cats.

The reason why I didn't say anything to Wade when he was living was a)he had a lot of good Christian friends that felt the same way and I didn't feel like dealing with the mob action and b) they've yet to invent that device that let's you bust somebody upside the head via Internet.
whiski_sour: (Winner!)
As predicted, the Chicago portion of my drive was not as terrible as I was working it up to be in my head. My friend Harry (also my lovely date for the evening) gave me fabulous directions and was an all around sweetheart being so patient with my pre-driving paranoia.

The Palmer House is a lovely hotel and definitely out of my Motel-6-with-the-condoms-in-the-vending-machine league. I had a very nice room at the end of a maze so that I don't think we ever took the same route back to the elevators every time.

Harry and I got decked out in our finery and met up with Tim (the guy I won the tickets from) at the VIP entrance where we were passed by the likes of Ernie Banks, Todd Hollandsworth, and David DeJesus and his wife Kim. Inside, we waited in line at one of the bars with Bryan LaHair and Joe Mather. It was pretty loud in there, with the people and the music. I don't know how anyone had a conversation. It was all Harry and I could do to talk to each other. In the end, we were both just so O_O that we decided people watching was good enough. Yeah, I know, pretty chicken shit. But I have trouble socializing unless I'm feeling it's a "good" day and last night really wasn't. I had no opening lines and nothing really to say to any of the players. Harry was on par with this. We suck. We know.

I further suck because the only pictures I took were a few bad ones at the end of the night. I've never been a good photographer and I constantly forget I have the means of taking pictures, so we should all be not surprised by this. Harry took a couple of good ones that I hope to get from him though, including one of us dressed up.

So, yeah, after the VIP portion of the evening, we adjourned to the casino portion. It was there that Harry started his "hot, buttery slide to hell" as he calls it with another rum and coke (he'd had one in the VIP room, as well as a martini; I was still on water, trying to combat the flush of that hot room). This was also when I had my first of two sitdowns of the night. After a walk around the gaming area, I had to sit down. It wasn't just that my feet hurt; my legs were weak. Like I said, 235 pounds on 3 inch heels. You can't fight physics. I just didn't like that suddenly my legs were more out of shape than ever. I was better after the second sitdown and a beer (no kidding; I think it helped slow the nerve signals that let me know that I was having difficulties).

Harry ended up getting pretty drunk (but not annoying/loud/barroom brawling drunk), but we still managed to do pretty well playing blackjack. We also got pretty catty about the players' wives/girlfriends. For the most part, they all look like cheerleaders which provided a perfect example of some research that I read about men tailoring what physical qualities they're attracted to depending on the culture they're apart of. Baseball culture=cheerleader-looking wives.

Anyway, we were among the stragglers to leave the party as Harry was mooning over Theo Epstein (Hilarious! I missed having a fabulous gay friend). I was surprised by which players stayed until the very end. Darwin Barney, James Russell, Chris Volstad, Paul Maholm, Kerry Wood, and of course Ryan Dempster. I know none of these people mean much to any of you, but names to Google if you're curious.

We both bought mystery gift bags (the least we could since we didn't actually contribute to the charity by buying our tickets. Harry ended up with a signed Ryan Dempster ball. I ended up with over $100 worth of gift certificates to various places in Chicago. Guess I'll have to make a trip back to use them.

We also got goodie bags when we left the VIP room which included a Casino night t-shirt and really nice shot glass. Pretty nice swag.

I was a little worried about Harry going home on his own. Hell, I was worried about him making it to the elevator from my room, but he's a pro and made it home with no troubles.

I only managed about four hours of sleep, talked to Harry and his hangover on the phone as he made the trek to work, and then headed for home. I only got a little lost on the way out, but I really quickly figured out where I was and where I needed to go. Pretty soon, I'm going to have this Chicago driving business down pat.

It was a really fun night and I'm so glad I got to do it and it's one of those things that if Dempster is still a Cub and he does it next year (please, oh, please!) I'm saving my pennies to go back on the legit.

No way I'm lucky enough to win twice.
whiski_sour: (dreamy Alex)
I've got all of my ducks in a row (I hope) for Casino Night tomorrow night. Thanks to my awesome friend Harry who's going with me, I'll be able to spend the night there and not have to worry about driving home right after the party. I will still be driving in Chicago, which I hate and have serious anxiety about, but I know in the end it will be better than what I make it out to be and I will survive it and that's what counts.

This is going to be my Cinderella night.

You see these tickets go for $175 a piece ($500 a piece for the VIP tickets). No way could I afford to go. I've never been able to afford to go. I'm going because I won these tickets. Technically, I don't belong there. But like Cinderella, I had a bit of a Fairy Godmother thing going, what with the winning and Harry helping me out by putting me up and already having the dress, so I get to head to the ball.

For one night, I get to pretend I'm not about to max out my credit card. I get to pretend that my ability to sell my stories and my jewelry isn't an abysmal failure. I get to pretend that I don't keep making stupid mistakes. For one night, I get to dress up and be pretty and gamble fake money and maybe exchange a few words with a player or two and pretend for one night that everything is bippity boppity boo before returning the reality of trying to clean up the mess that is my current existence.

I don't deserve that one night reprieve, but I'm going to take it and enjoy it as much as I can. It'll be the last one I get like that for a long time.

The pain from wearing heels for several hours will be worth it.

To be fair, I did get a very nice, pretty comfortable pair of heels. But you can't fight physics. 235 pounds in 3 inch heels when it's the first time you've warn heels in quite a while pretty much guarantees inevitable pain, despite steps taken to avoid it (gel cushion inserts, wearing them to break them in, wearing them to get used to them, etc.). The one bright spot, though, is that they don't seem to effect my jacked up knee too much, so that's something.
whiski_sour: (Groove)
So Sunday I found a dead body.

Last night, I found out I won two tickets to The Dempster Family Foundation Casino Night. Come May 9th, I am going to be gussied up in my good clothes (hello, little black dress!) and hobnobbing with Cubs players and other Chicago celebrities. I was in such denial that it was real that Carrie pinched me to prove I wasn't dreaming. It took me a good half-hour or so to realize that it wasn't a joke and it was really happening.

Talk about a serious swing in the luck.

This week has been a bizarre one, to be sure.


Apr. 8th, 2012 07:11 am
whiski_sour: (Cubs)
Happy Easter to those who celebrate it. I'll be spending my holiday sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley with Dad, probably watching the Cubs lose and eating nachos for my Easter dinner.

Anyway you slice it, it's going to be a good time.
whiski_sour: (Danno's on hold)
Dad had his follow-up biopsy yesterday. The doc ended up only running about two hours late, which is really good for us. He said that everything looked awesome with the exception of one little area. It was a smooth bump that didn't look anything like the previous tumors, but he revised it and took some tissue from it as well as some tissue from some other random spots. We won't know anything for sure until the biopsy comes back, but the fact that everything looks good is encouraging.

We also got Nutterbutter milkshakes after the procedure, so it was like a bonus.

Dad's next appointment is in two weeks. They'll discuss the results then. Usually Dad goes back the next week for that consultation, but Doc is taking vacation. His kids are on spring break and the family is going out East. This would probably irk Dad if he didn't like his doc so much. He really is a good guy. Down to earth with a sense of humor. Dad appreciates that in a doctor that's routing out his plumbing.

Fingers crossed that the results will be good and we can be done with this sooner rather than later.
whiski_sour: (Kiss me)
Happy St. Patrick's Day! I hope you're all wearing green and drinking responsibly if you choose to imbibe. I'm rocking my team-signed CornBelters away jersey and later I'll be drinking hard lemonade out of my souvenir Kansas City Royals cup because I'm not Irish and I'm not going to pretend to be.

I realize this is my first post of the month, but really, nothing worth mentioning has been going on. I continue on the writing grind, working on a few different projects that I hope will one day get published. I'm looking for a part-time job since I'm hard up for cash once again and the need for a steady income is real. Not surprisingly, REJECTED isn't selling and I've only made three jewelry sales. The most money I've made is off of eBay and even then I didn't sell anything there last month.

If anyone would like to help with some word of mouth, I'd appreciate it.

I've got a bad case of spring fever. I've been going outside every day and I'm feeling the urge to do stuff. It's the nice weather. It makes me want to accomplish things.

Laziness tends to win out, as per usual, but still, I have the strong urge.
whiski_sour: (porpoise is laughing)
Woke up at 4 am with a nose bleed. Didn't get back to sleep until after 6:30. Woke up at 7:40 when Dad let a very upset Maudie Moo in my room.

Just as I began to recover from my crappy night's sleep, I found out that the CornBelters traded my favorite player, Mike Mobbs.

Just as I began to recover from THAT (realizing the home park for the team he plays for now is quite literally just down the road from where I spent a great many Saturday nights during my indy wrestling days), I found out that Davy Jones passed away.

I am crushed.

I don't have to tell you guys how much I love the Monkees. I always knew this day would come (how lucky are we that we had the whole band alive for 45 years?), but I didn't think it would be today. I've been listening to my Monkees playlist and I watched a couple of my favorite episodes. I cannot massage this hurt.

Over dramatic, I know, but this band means the world to me.

My Leap Day has so much sad.
whiski_sour: (Ooh! Shiny!)
Went to the movies with Carrie last night. After playing skee ball (and being sore today for it), we sat down and enjoyed The Woman in Black.

Let's just call it spoilers to be safe. )

I do not recommend watching two episodes of MST3K before seeing the movie, though. There were a couple of times that I had to clamp my hand over my mouth because Servo and Crow were riffing in my head.

There were more people in the theater than we thought would be there, but they were a good audience, jumping and screaming and tittering and giggling. The girl behind us kept saying "I'm going to die, I'm doing to die". Carrie swears she peed herself a couple of times.

Can't ask for better than that.
whiski_sour: (fucked your shit up)
I know my way around a car pretty well. It was one of those things I had to learn growing up. And since I've owned nothing but older, junkier cars, I've ended up doing some pretty fun things in order to get them to run, including:

-Priming the carburetor with gas.

-Crawling under the car to jiggle the starter wire.

-Sticking a screwdriver into an intake valve.

Today I get to add smacking the alternator with a hammer. Something in it was sticking and needed to be loosened.

What's fun about all this is that for all I know about cars, I still manage to screw up the simplest things. I've messed up reattaching a review mirror not once, but twice. And today, I put in the wrong washing fluid (it was for the power washer). In my defense, the wrong stuff was in the washing fluid place in the garage and it does say washing fluid on it.

Yes, maybe I should have read the label a little more closely, but I maintain that it shouldn't have been in the washing fluid place. I do not understand Dad's filing system, so these mistakes are bound to be made when you mess up with the few things I do know.

I'm just saying.
whiski_sour: (not bad)
Back in December, the SD card in my phone suddenly decided it was damaged and wouldn't work. I took it to the AT&T store, they called SanDisk, SanDisk suggested we reformat it (which the phone wouldn't let me do), so the AT&T people managed it and it worked okay, except for the ringtones, which insisted on being weird.

Everything was mediocre until last Friday when the card decided to be damaged again. This time I emailed SanDisk, who said I should take it back to the store and get a new one. So today I did.

When I came home, I noticed the same jacked up situation with the ringtones (the files were all wrong and the email notification would never play the right tone). I decided that maybe it was the phone. So I did a hard reset. Aside from the email notification not playing at all (instead it plays the default notification sound, which is fine because it's not picking a sound AT RANDOM and playing it like before), everything seems to be kosher.

Cross your fingers on this one. I'd really hate to have this thing go pear-shaped on me again and then have to try to get a new phone. I'm pretty sure I could since I haven't even had it a year yet, but I'd really rather not. Call me persnickety if you want. You wouldn't be the first.

I also ended up downloading two new ringtone apps because while my other apps were all backed up, my original ringtone app wasn't (I think it might have been part of my problem). So I've spent my time replacing and getting some new ringtones and sounds. Laws knows that's half the reason I have a phone. It makes noises that I appreciate.

The first ringtone app didn't have all of the tones I wanted, though (WHERE IS MY EARTH WIND AND FIRE DAMMIT?), but I found another one that lets me get the song and edit it the way I want to, which I appreciate. So I will not be September-less as I feared!

In non-cell phone news, Dad had his last treatment yesterday and he goes for a follow-up biopsy in March. Let's hope it all comes out clean and we can be done with this business for a while.
whiski_sour: (out of the gene pool)
People are pissing me off left and right today. I want to say it's me, that I've got a touch of the PMS, but no. I think it's everyone else.

Most of it is on Facebook. It's gotten me to the point that I'm wondering why I'm even on there. That's not true. I know why I'm on there. It's to play games.

I wonder why I'm friends with these people. Most of them I went to school with. Some of them I actually liked in high school. Now I'm finding it hard to tolerate some of them.

I'm going to just start hiding people. It avoids the drama of unfriending, but brings some damn peace and sanity to my FB.

That's right. Banishing people to the cornfield isn't just for Cardinals fans during baseball season anymore (though so many of them are on the top of my list).
whiski_sour: (Winner!)
I got my federal tax refund yesterday and with it ordered my new TV, which should be here between Friday and Tuesday.

You guys, I can't tell you how excited I am for this. My TV (that I've had for about 15 years) is dying. The picture is squished, with at least a third of the bottom and maybe a quarter of the top black. Like widescreen, only smooshed. Also, there are lines going through the top of what pictures I can see that distorts it. Everybody ends up with extra poofy hair or Frankenstein foreheads. Any text on the bottom of the screen can't be read. Also, it's sometimes hard to tell who people are.

And if the picture is in widescreen? Squished even more!

So, yes, a new TV (particularly before baseball season!) was a must. For the love of my eyes! It's getting hard to watch.

And now that my new TV has been ordered, it's a race to see if the old one will hold out until it gets here.

I wouldn't be surprised if it died all together just to spite me.
whiski_sour: (Oh noes!)
Grandma will be staying in the hospital for a bit. It seems that when she fell and hit her head yesterday, it set off a series of events including a mini-stroke and a seizure. She'll be in ICU for a little bit and then moved to a private room to start therapy. If I'm understanding Mom correctly, she could have done therapy after the initial surgery, but she was recovering so well and so insistent on going home, that they decided she didn't need it.

I guess she should have done it anyway. Oh well.

Mom's not sure how long she'll be in hospital for this therapy business. She'll let me know when/if she hears anything.

See, Mom's really good at keeping me posted once I'm in the loop. It's just a matter of getting in the loop that can be the challenge.
whiski_sour: (Fishy people)
So my cousin posts on FB that my grandma is in the hospital for the third time. News to me since I only knew of her being in the hospital ONCE this month.

So I text Mom. She says that Grandma had surgery on Monday but she came home Tuesday, but she'd find out. Mom calls me and tells me that yes, Grandma is back in the hospital. Apparently, she stood up too fast today and fell and they're doing a CT scan to make sure everything is okay, but this sort of thing happens after surgeries like this, which confused me because the only surgery I knew that she was going to be having at any point was glaucoma surgery.

So I ask for clarification.

Oh, she didn't have glaucoma surgery on Monday; it was surgery to remove a hematoma from her brain that the doctors think developed after a fall she had in September and worsened after her first stint in ICU just after the first of the year, which caused her arm to go numb and mimic the symptoms of a stroke, but Mom was totally going to tell me eventually. She just hadn't gotten around to it yet and she didn't think it was a big deal.

Also, my Aunt T had surgery Friday to repair a couple of holes in her eardrum and my step-dad broke his tailbone a couple of weeks ago.

So, yes. The loop. Not only am I not in it, I don't know it exists unless I trip over it.
whiski_sour: (repeat)
I'm starting to look and apply for part-time jobs. I need a little more money coming in since I'm not making much. Pretty much everything I've done thus far, aside from doing the rummage sale on eBay, has been a bust.

So far, most of the possible gigs I'm finding are out of town, but if I work at least 15 hours a week making minimum wage, I can cover my bills and gas. I won't get rich, but I won't be scrambling to pay bills while I'm trying to get more short stories published either. And if my car would be up to making the out of town drives a few days a week, that would help even more in terms of gas.

I didn't get hardly any writing done working full-time and I was miserable for it. Part-time is the compromise that should work for me. I started to do it towards the end of my last stint at Wal-Mart. It's my best bet right now.

If I'm going to make this work, I've got to do whatever it takes. I'm hell bent on it now. No going back.

Cubs Con

Jan. 17th, 2012 07:43 pm
whiski_sour: (Cubs)
The highlights of my birthday weekend trip to Chicago with [livejournal.com profile] luchalibrarian are on my blog. In short, I had a fantastic time and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.

Pictures from the trip will be up on the blog Friday.

If this is how I can celebrate getting older every year, then I can dig it. For sure.
whiski_sour: (Ooh! Shiny!)
Carrie and I went to Mom's yesterday for Hammie's birthday. She's ten, nearly five foot tall, and really into anime. She got a kimono for her birthday. It made Mom and I sing The Vapors.

Hammie asked for a giant cookie for her birthday. It came with violent pink frosting that I did not eat. Mom also got me cupcakes from our favorite bakery, half unfrosted because I'm spoiled like that.

The girls also got me a present (even though I already technically got mine at Christmas since Mom and Mark gave me money for Cubs Con). A new Cubs sweatshirt. Pretty soon, that's going to be the only clothing I own.

Today I ran last minute errands in the blowing snow so I'm as prepared as I can be for my trip to Chicago tomorrow. I don't relish the three hour drive in the snow, but hopefully the wind dies down and the plows can get things clear.

And then [livejournal.com profile] luchalibrarian and I party Cubs style in Chi-town.

I'm hoping to come home with a player or two stuffed in my bag.


whiski_sour: (Default)

February 2014



RSS Atom

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 20th, 2017 12:52 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios